A faucet water filter is a type of filter that is attached directly to a tap. Faucet water filters do not require any water carriage or tanks. This is because water is treated immediately after its release from the valve. This type of water filter has its connection directly outside a faucet’s mouth and remains attached to the valve. It begins working each time the faucet is turned on.
Faucet water filters are known on a global scale because of their simplicity of both installation and use. They are an inexpensive way to improve the quality of faucet water. They generally require very low maintenance and are thus hassle free. Water faucets have a filtering system that eliminates all unwanted substances from water. These unwanted substances mainly consist of trace minerals present in water such as fluoride, limescale, and chlorine.
Similar to water filter pitchers, faucet water filters are an environmentally friendly technique of getting drinking water. This is because they do not produce any wastewater and do not require electric power to operate. Faucet water filters typically need cartridge replacement after every hundred gallons of water or so.
Best Faucet Water FIlter Comparison
|** RECOMMENDED ** Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter||200 gallons||8.3 / 10||Check Price and Reviews|
|Brita Faucet Water Filter System||100 gallons||7.2 / 10||Check Price and Reviews|
|Kabter Faucet Water Filter System||200 gallons||8.8 / 10||Check Price and Reviews|
|DuPont FFM350XCH Faucet Water Filter||200 gallons||7.4 / 10||Check Price and Reviews|
|PUR 3 – Stage Advanced Faucet Water Filter||100 gallons||7.6 / 10||Check Price and Reviews|
1. ** RECOMMENDED ** Culligan F-15 A Faucet Mount Filter
- Color – It is available in 2 aesthetically appealing colors of White Finish and Chrome Finish. These are bound to complement the décor of any kitchen for an overall beautiful appearance.
- Ease of use – This filter easily switches from unfiltered water to filtered water by the simple pull of a diverter valve stem. This makes it very useful for people of all ages.
- Ease of use – This filter easily switches from unfiltered water to filtered water by the simple pull of a diverter valve stem. This makes it very useful for people of all ages.
- Filtration – It uses an advanced water filtration system that effectively decreases bad odors, bad tastes, chlorine, lead giardia cysts, atrazine, lindane, turbidity, sediment, and cryptosporidium. This guarantees optimum protection for the user and the family.
- Certification – This amazing faucet water filter has NSF international certification against ANSI Standard 42 and 53. This means that it is recognized by the relevant authorities and can perform all the functions stipulated by the manufacturer.
- Robust – This product has a flow of 0.5gpm at 60 psi. This is very advanced compared to most of the faucet water filters available in the market.
- Diverter tab – This faucet water filter has a simple diverter tab that allows for a quick switch from the advanced quality filtered water to the regular tap water.
- Adapters – It is sold together with adapters that can fit on all standard sinks. Consumers should therefore not worry about incompatible adapters when using this product.
- Weight – It is light in weight at 13.6 ounces making very portable if need be.
- Installation – This product has a simple design that is simple to install. It does not require any technical assistance. Furthermore, no tools are required for the installation process.
- Size – It has a suitable compact size of 3.5 x 5.5 x 6.8 inches.
- Longevity – It uses a filter that lasts for 2 months or 200 gallons. This translates to a low frequency of replacement and this, in turn, makes it cost effective.
2. Brita Faucet Water Filter System
This is a high-quality product from the renowned Brita brand that specializes in water filtration products. This water filter system has some desirable features that might pique the interest of the consumer as follows:
- Color – Chrome and White are the two available colors for this product. These neutral colors might interest most consumers. Also, they are highly likely to complement the theme of most modern home kitchens.
- Filtration – It has a highly effective filtration system that decreases asbestos contaminants, lead, giardia cysts, cryptosporidium, bad odor, and color as well as chlorine present in tap water. This promotes the health of the users and ultimately decreases medical costs that would have otherwise been used in seeking medical attention.
- Indicator – This filter has an indicator that functions to alert the user when it is time to replace the filter system. The indicator flashes red when the filter is due for replacement.
- Installation – It is very easy to install, and it does not even need tools to do so. This eliminates the need of incurring costs in hiring professional help, a beneficial factor in such tough economic times where every dollar counts.
- Long service life – This one of a kind filter can provide 100 gallons of filtered tap water before requiring replacement. This is an indication of its longevity because 4 months is a long time.
- Size – It has suitable fit size with dimensions of 2.4 x 6.1 x 8.5 inches. This facilitates easy storage and saves on space for premium kitchens.
- Weight – This product is very portable because it only weighs 14.4 ounces. This allows it to be easily transported and moved if need be.
- Sediment trap – It is sold with an extra layer that serves to trap sediments. This promotes its efficacy tenfold.
3. Kabter Faucet Water Filter System
This is a product of the Kabter brand that has dominated the water filtration industry for a long time. This is yet another masterpiece from them, and it does not disappoint. The following are some of its salient features:
- Colors – This top-notch product is available in three gorgeous colors, i.e., Ceramics Cartridge, Cotton Cartridge, and Chrome. These colors can successfully spruce up any kitchen.
- Material – It is made of a high quality material that guarantees durability and high performance. The construction material is food-grade ABS plastic. This material is leak free. Furthermore, the material is Phthalate and BPA free.
- Filtration system – It is packed with granular carbon and carbon fiber that significantly reduces lead, mercury, asbestos, benzene, cysts, chlorine, and sediments. Also, it inhibits the growth of fungi, mold, lime, and scale as well as kills bacteria. This advanced filtration system will ensure the user gets only safe drinking water.
- Longevity – It takes 3 – 5 months before a filter cartridge becomes exhausted and replaced. 3 – 5 months is equivalent to 200 gallons of water. This is cost effective for consumers, as they will not spend a lot of money in maintaining the water filtration system in the long term.
- Design – The design is very convenient because it is equipped with a switch that is flipped to access clean filtered water. This makes it easy for all users since it is straightforward.
- Weight – It is light in weight thus making it very portable. It weighs just 14.08 ounces.
- Versatile – It comfortably fits for most faucets. This is because of its array of adapters that fit standard female and male faucets. This means consumers do not need to worry about buying a product that might not fit.
4. DuPont WFFM350XCH Faucet Water Filter
- Colors – Interested consumers can get a Brushed Nickel color, Chrome color or a White color depending on personal preference.
- Display – It has an electronic display that is easy to read. This display functions to indicate the flush cycle and the gallons filtered.
- Water flow selector – This feature serves to set unfiltered and filtered water. This nullifies the need of applying constant pressure for water filtration.
- Finishes – It is available in various finishes to satisfy the different consumer requirements.
- Filter – This product is of the high-performance type that effectively decreases lead, mercury, asbestos, benzene, lindane, cysts, chlorine and sediment in tap water. The ultimate result is usually clear water that has an improved taste and odor.
- Longevity – It has a microban antimicrobial product protection that is smartly built into the cartridge housing as well as media to promote a long service life for the filter.
- Size – It has a conveniently compact size that is characterized by dimensions of 7.8 x 6.4 x 2.9 inches. This means that it will not occupy much of the valuable kitchen space.
- Weight – It has a lightweight of 12 ounces. This makes the product increasingly portable.
- Cartridge capacity – It has a high capacity of 200 gallons of water. This means that the filter cartridge can be utilized for a long time because it can require a replacement.
5. PUR 3 – Stage Advanced Faucet Water Filter
Consistency in the production of exemplary filtration products is the forte of the PUR brand, and this product is no exception. The following are the features that make this faucet water filter special:
- Colors – It is available in Chrome, Gray and White colors. These are beautiful colors that can add life to any kitchen with a modern design.
- Installation – It is designed in such a way that it is easily installed. This means that anybody can do it thus saving costs that would have otherwise been incurred in hiring help.
- Capacity – This water filter can provide up to 100 gallons of clean and filtered water before a replacement can be done to the cartridges. This is approximately 2 – 3 months.
- Performance – It has a robust filter that is superior in eliminating contaminants. This guarantees that the user remains healthy and saves a lot of money in the process.
- Certification – It is certified capable of eliminating close to 70 contaminants. This is inclusive of mercury, pesticides, and lead.
- Size – Its small size of 3.2 x 7.3 x 7.7 inches allows it to create space in kitchens for other functions.
- Indicator – This product is designed with a built-in electronic indicator thatmonitors filter life. It notifies the user when the filter needs to be changed.
- 360-degree swivel – It is fitted ith a 360-degree swivel that allows the faucet water filter to comfortably fit in a majority of sinks. It also promotes easy cleaning of dishes.
- Weight – Its extremely lightweight of 1.1 pounds promotes portability.
- Compatibility – It is compatible with most standard male and female faucets. This is beneficial because it eliminates the anxiety of purchasing a product that will not fit.
Buying guide for best faucet water filter
Selecting the best faucet water filter can be an uphill task. This is mainly because many individuals have no clue as to what to look for and there are currently many manufacturers in the market today as well. There are several factors that consumers need to take into serious consideration when purchasing a faucet water filter; these include the following:
When water is run through a standard faucet water filter, it goes through a screen that functions to trap any sediments present such as sand and dirt. The water then proceeds to flow through a condensed mass of zeolite and carbon. The water ought to move gradually through carbon to allow the small particles to effectively soak up the chemicals.
Water contaminants have been known to significantly vary from one community to another. This is why it is always advisable to do in-depth research on exactly what contaminant is affecting your water supply. The determination of the contaminants will assist you to know your needs concerning water filtration. Faucet water filters vary slightly in application, and that is why it is practical to know the contaminants that you want to reduce/eliminate in your water. This kind of information is available online in water-quality reports of environmental agencies for your area.
Generally, faucet water filters have attachments that are quick to install, but the ease of installation varies from one brand to the other. Conduct research on what type is easiest to install and go for that one. The last thing you want is to hire personnel for technical assistance for the installation process.
There are mainly two types of faucet water filters, i.e., flavored faucet filter and traditional faucet filter. Traditional faucet filters normally attach directly to faucets and are typically utilized in kitchens. This is the most common type and eliminates impurities from water. This is in addition to altering the taste of water by making it purer and fresher. The flavored type provides slight flavor to water. They use flavor cartridges that add a fruity taste to water. It is the same as consuming flavored water but at a lower price. Weigh the two types carefully before going to purchase a faucet water filter.
A majority of faucet filters are sold at a reasonable price. It should be noted that the price is usually a factor of the filtering performance of a product. Compare the different prices from different stores while keeping the filtering performance in mind. This is because there is no point in buying a cheaper faucet filter that has poor filtering performance, strike a balance between the two. Give priority to the features that you cannot live without despite the fact that it might mean that you have to alter your budget.
Faucet water filters are basically extensions of water fixtures; this is why they should be aesthetically appealing by complimenting décor/ theme of a kitchen. Most filters are available in a brushed aluminum finish, chrome finish, white finish or black finish. It is always advisable to select a filter that will closely match a faucet and will add beauty to your sink. The aim should always to get a faucet water filter that will easily blend into the design of the kitchen rather than conflict it.
There are some faucet water filters that do not swivel even slightly. This can be quite an inconvenience especially when cleaning dishes. The situation is even worse when there are large trays or pots. This is why the importance of a faucet water filter that has a swivel can never be over emphasized. Look for one that has a 360-degree swivel to completely remove the problem of cleaning dishes in the sink.
Compatibility and size
Select a filter that is not too large or small for your faucet. Imagine the product from several angles to ensure that it will be properly spaced out in your kitchen. You do not want a filter that will dwarf your faucet such that it appears comical in anyway.
Check client reviews of faucet water filters in the market. The units filter many gallons of water during their service life; this means that reliability is of the utmost importance.
The best faucet water filters are those that have metal construction. This is because they exhibit a tighter grip and they filter better. Buy a faucet water filter that is made of a metal material for optimum performance and a long service life.
Faucet water filters are available in different sizes and shapes depending on the impurity needs, and they are attached in a variety of ways. A majority of faucet filters feature uncomplicated maintenance requirements. Changing filters is considered the most difficult task in their maintenance.
These cartridges are normally rated in gallons, but most people are normally unable to measure their water intake. This is why most manufacturers define the regularity for changing cartridges. It is best to buy a faucet water filter that is fitted with scales/sensors that determine the quantity of water that has been filtered in terms of gallons. This will allow you to have a more accurate change for the cartridges or better still, to budget for the change.
Having clean filters is critical to drinking clean water at all times. This is the reason why it is important to have knowledge of when filters need to be changed. Filter change sensors aid in this. There are filter change sensors that notify users when immediate change is required while others provide notification when the changing period is approaching. Selecting between the two types is now a matter of personal preference. Overall, it does not matter what type of sensor your filter has so long as it has one.
It is important to evaluate the price of cartridge replacement. An inexpensive faucet water filter might require more frequent cartridge changes compared to a high-end faucet water filter. This may translate to a much higher/ expensive total cost of ownership, and this is undesirable in such tough economic times. This is why consumers should carefully consider the price that each replacement will cost to guarantee the best deal. The cost of replacement for a faucet water filter is heavily dependent on factors like quality of the pleated material, the number of pleats and the size of the pleats themselves. Pleating is a woven material that water passes through during the filtration process. Pleating with smaller openings removes smaller particles and vice versa. Filters with many pleats remove smaller size particles and last longer but raises the price of cartridge replacement.
Good faucet filters tend to be quite bulky. At times, they are set up beside faucets, but this is not very good. This is because it consumes a lot of important worktop space in kitchens. It is wise to go with faucet water filters that are either a stand-alone on sink tops or those that are installed underneath sinks. However, the underneath type are ideal for premium rooms with a great demand for large volumes of filtered water.
Carbon or charcoal filters are the most common type of filters. In addition, they are the least expensive to purchase. Carbon filters remove many harmful contaminants like disinfection byproducts, pesticides, sometimes lead and protozoan cysts such as cryptosporidium and giardia. Carbon is a porous material that allows for the absorption of water and consequently its travel through it. Many contaminants are eliminated as the water passes through the carbon material.
On the other hand, there are reverse osmosis filters that are normally mounted alongside conventional carbon filters in faucet water filters. Reverse osmosis filters are characterized by ultra-fine membranes that effectively eject additional impurities in comparison to carbon filters on their own.
The membrane on reverse osmosis filters are made using acetate. This means that faucet water filters that use reverse osmosis filters are the better option.
It is good to make sure that a faucet water filter is NSF- certified. This is because it means that it will be able to remove the impurities being targeted. Such impurities usually consist of Cryptospiridium, rust, chlorine, and lead. You should, therefore, check for the NSF- certification mark when shopping for the best faucet water filter for your needs.
The above factors are not exhaustive as there are many more. It should also be noted that not just because faucet water filters have a similar look alike that they have a similar built as well.
Faucet water filters are cheaper water filtration options for health conscious families. Individuals who are keen on having fresh tasting water and the removal of impurities from water to render it safe for human consumption should consider purchasing any of the high-quality faucet water filters listed above.